Emily S. Whitten: It’s All About Me! …And You!
I am one year old!!
Well. If by “I” I mean “this column,” and if by “one” I actually mean “one year and a few weeks.” But still: can you believe it? I’ve been writing this here li’l column for over a year now. That’s fifty-seven columns to date! Holy cannoli! (Aaaaand now I want a cannoli. Great.)
Anywho, I meant to post this column on my Actual ComicMix One Year Anniversary, but you know how it is: you’ve got interviews with awesome people like Phil LaMarr and Billy West and Nick Galifianakis to post, and film festivals and documentary screenings to write about…and those are way more exciting.
However! On this, my one-ish year anniversary, I want to send a big thank you out to anyone who reads my columns, shares them with friends, comments on them, or discusses them with me. I get a lot of joy out of writing these columns, whether they are the ones where I’m ruminating on the vagaries of pop cultularity; or the ones where I get to talk to extraordinarily talented people or review excellent art; or the ones where my mind runs whimsically through a field populated by ridiculous stuff like superheroes celebrating the holidays together and antisocial vigilantes answering dating advice questions. And although part of that joy comes from my passion for the subject and for writing in and of itself, a big part of it also comes from the experience of sharing my thoughts and knowing my writing is engaging others in thought or discussion, or providing a bit of enjoyment (I hope!).
I’m always interested in whether what I’m writing resonates with readers, and in writing on topics that others want to read about. Therefore, even though technically this column is about me and my one year of writing around here, what’s it’s really about is you, my readers! So that I can write more things you want to read, I’d really like to know more about you: like how you first found my column; what you’ve read; what you’ve most enjoyed reading; what you didn’t care for, and what you want to see more of. To help me with this, you can answer the quick survey below!
But before we do that, here is a brief reminder of some of the sorts of things I’ve written (And all fifty-seven columns can be found here):
- Interviews, with folks like the aforementioned three, along with Neil Gaiman and Adam Rex; Dean Haspiel; Reilly Brown; Simon Fraser; and Cleolinda Jones.
- News and event coverage, for things like Dragon*Con; NYCC; upcoming PC games; upcoming shows; and more.
- Reviews for comics; prose adaptations; audiobooks; TV shows; comics-related products; and movies (including movies-that-are-so-bad-they’re-good).
- Pop culture commentary on things like cosplay =/= consent; geeklitism; and women and costuming.
- Discussions about the creative process, including advice from professionals on making good art; thoughts on the joys of collaboration; and how you might get into writing comics.
- Silly fun stuff I make up, like Deadpool answering fan questions; Rorschach giving social advice; Spider-Man and Batman celebrating Thanksgiving together; geektastic lyrics for traditional songs; fake entertainment news; and reimagining Doctor Doom as a Disney character.
So now that you’ve had a little reminder of what I write, on to the survey!
If you have any further feedback, please feel free to leave it in the comments!
Thank you for taking the time to help me write more things that you want to read; and until next time, Servo Lectio!
TUESDAY AFTERNOON: Michael Davis
WEDNESDAY MORNING: Mike Gold