Comics soon in a theater near you
As a contrast to all the Spider-Man stories this week, Alan Kistler sends us a quick update on other movies in the pipeline:
"This is an interesting week in terms of comic book movies and the like.
Iron Man director Jon Favreau has confirmed that Jeff Bridges will be shaving his head to play the role of Obadiah Stane, who in the comics was a wealthy, sociopathic industrialist who took Tony Stark’s company and manipulated the recovering alcoholic into drinking again.
Rumors are flying that Sarah Michelle Gellar is up for the role of Harley Quinn in the upcoming Batman sequel The Dark Knight, but this has yet to be confirmed by anyone.
And "Moriarty" at Ain’tItCoolNews has posted up a review of an advanced screening of The Transformers. The review is full of spoilers concerning plot, so if you want the gist without having the story ruined for you, here are the highlights:
- The plot will involve the Allspark cube, analogous to the "Autobot Matrix of leadership" from the original cartoon series.
- The characters in the film are said to be very accurate to how they were portrayed in the Generation One cartoon series.
- Optimus Prime is said to have amazing action scenes and is showcased as an incredible warrior.
- To the satisfaction of older fans, Megatron and Starscream do indeed argue quite a bit.
- The supporting cast of John Turturro, John Voight and Josh Duhmel are said to give a solid performance.
- The special effects are supposed to be very good, though it is said that a couple of the robots look odd when speaking with robot lips.
- There is a criticism that certain characters are not shown enough or given enough to do, as screentime must be focused on explaining the origin and nature of the Transformers.
- There are supposed to be several references to the old cartoon for fans to enjoy, including lines by Optimus that were lifted from the original series.
Sounds like a great report to me. Here’s hoping the movie lives up to the hype."