ComicMix Quick Picks – March 18, 2009
Some items from the past few days:
- Sad news: Natasha Richardson, scion of the famous Redgrave acting family and star of the film adaptation of Margaret Atwood’s dystopian The Handmaid’s Tale, has died from injuries suffered in a skiing accident. Our condolences go out to her husband Liam Neeson, their two boys, and the rest of their family.
- David Prowse, the body of Darth Vader and the man who got Christopher Reeve bulked up to play Superman, is completing treatment for prostate cancer.
- Family Guy has won its lawsuit against a music publisher that claimed that the allegedly anti-Semitic lyrics of “I Need a Jew” damaged the reputation of their song, “When You Wish Upon a Star” from the Disney film Pinocchio. The song and the episode in which it appears, “Once Upon a Weinstein,” have faced accusations of anti-Semitism before. Fox refused to show the episode when it was originally produced; audiences didn’t get to see it until 2003, when Cartoon Network broadcast it.
- In other legal news, German book publishers are suing file sharing readers. Not ISPs… readers. German book publishers’ association leader Alexander Skipis said "his group intends to keep German courts busy with thousands of lawsuits. He also called P2P file sharing "organized crime" and lamented that politicians were ignoring the impact illegal downloads were having on book publishers."
- And in case you missed it: Neil Gaiman on The Colbert Report.
Anything else? Consider this an open thread.