Top 10 Comics of 5769
For those not in the know, Heeb Magazine is the cleverly titled magazine for mostly young people (and me) of Jewish, and generally Ashkenazi, descent. It’s clever, relevant, and not terribly religious. They regularly cover the comics scene; I know of at least one comics shop that carries the magazine: Comix Revolution in Evanston Illinois.
For the past several years, our friends at Heeb have been ranking their favorite
graphic novels on an annual basis – defining “annual” by the Hebrew calendar.
Ergo, here’s their Top 10 list for the year 5769. More info here at the Heeb site.
1. The Complete Essex County by Jeff Lemire (Top Shelf
2. Tales Designed to Thrizzle by Michael Kupperman
3. Asterios Polyp by Dave Mazzucchelli (Pantheon)
4. The Alcoholic by Jonathan Ames & Dean Haspiel
5. Little Nothings Volume 2 by Lewis Trondheim (NBM
6. A Drifting Life by Yoshihiro Tatsumi (Drawn &
7. Brat Pack by Rick Veitch (King Hell Press)
8. The Beats by Harvey Pekar, Paul Buhle & Ed Piskor
(Hill & Wang)
9. Fut Miso by Michel Fiffe (ACT-I-VATE.com)
10. Masterpiece Comics by R. Sikoryak (Drawn &
Hmmm… Do you think we should tell them that John Gaunt is