The Origin of Image Comics?
Part of me really just wants to post the image here and leave it at that, but there probably should be some explanation. Over at the San Diego Reader, former Rock n’ Roll Comics co-creator Jay Allen Sanford has put together an illustrated history of the "The Birth of Image Comics" as part of a recurring feature spotlighting some of the local comics talent in the run-up to San Diego Comic-Con. Seen below is Sanford’s interpretation of the reaction from Stan Lee when Rob Liefeld decided to break from Marvel.
See? The explanation wasn’t nearly as entertaining as the illustration now, was it?
Also in this edition of the Reader’s "Local Comic Publishers History" lesson:
- The Birth of Image Comics
- Pacific Comics: The inside story of a legendary local comic book company (including a history of indie comics and the Creator’s Rights revolution)
- RIP Dave Stevens, famous former neighbor who created the Rocketeer
- Don’t Fear the Funnies: A history of censorship in comics
- The New Kids On The Block VS Revolutionary Comics – illustrated by Superman/Supergirl artist Stuart Immonen