Sex, Lies, Random Thoughts, by Martha Thomases
It’s one of those weeks. It’s hot, and the elections and other summer cross-over events are not even in second gear yet. Nothing grabs me for an entire column of deep thoughts. So lets skip some stones across the idea pond.
• According to io9, two of the summer’s big-deal super-hero movies use sex with super-powers as a major plot point. It’s been decades since “Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex” and even 13 years since Mallrats, but the American public, especially the movie-going audience, seems to be giggling little nerds when it comes to this topic. Or at least the movie-producing parts of it.
• Although, when you think about it, sex with Bruce Banner is kind of dangerous. I mean, if you scratch him or something that ticks him off, you’re talking about major tissue damage. Or at least a dislocated wrist.
• Grant Morrison recently said that Countdown had nothing to do with Final Crisis, even though the entire hype of Countdown declared it was all part of an overarching master plan. So Dan DiDio is a liar. Not misleading to make the story more fun for the fans, but a liar. If I were running DC’s convention presence, I wouldn’t put him on any more panels.
• Barack Obama wears a bike helmet! For some reason, this is big news. I don’t know about you, but I’d like my president to be intelligent enough to not only obey the law, but also set a good example for his kids and protect his BRAINS! Isn’t it nice to think about having a president who might have some?
• For that matter, why is there so much controversy over whether or not Obama is an elitist? I don’t think he is (that’s not my experience with people who were community organizers) but don’t we want someone in the White House who respects accomplishment, intelligence, good manners, taut thinking, and other traits associated with elitism? The alternative is to value stupidity, superstition, and clumsiness. Oh, I see now.
• MoCCA was big fun this year, but it’s setting a standard for drama that will be hard to maintain. The opening was delayed because of a medical emergency, and the fire on Sunday came just before the final curtain. What are they going to do next year? Levitate? Alien probes?
• It’s really uncool to say this, but I’m having a good time reading Mark Millar and John Romita, Jr.’s Kick-Ass. It’s got a lot of the wish fulfillment pay-offs of Wanted, plus it’s really, really nerdy. I think he should let Evan Dorkin write the sequel.
• Valerie D’Orazio, bless her heart, thinks I should pitch Marvel on a Dakota North mini-series, especially since the character is so prominent in the current Daredevil storyline. She’s so prominent, in fact, that I think I’m supposed to get paid again. So, here’s my pitch: Dakota gets a call that her father, Sam North, is dead. She goes to his home in Langley to put his affairs in order and discovers the secrets he’d been keeping since her birth. What does this mean about the rest of her life? And who else wants to know?
Martha Thomases, ComicMix Media Goddess, is elitist by definition. I mean, come on, people, what part of Goddess don’t you understand?