ComicMix Quick Picks: June 4, 2011
Today’s artwork is from Miss Matzenbatzen, Steffi Schütze. Closing windows before I head off for a day of wackiness:
- E-Book report: Nook is up, iPad still catching up: What’s interesting about this is that the readership and device of choice for prose is almost the exact opposite for comics. In comics, it’s iPad leading the way, then the Nook, then Kindle. In my opinion this is because of the color screen and a different payment structure that limits the Kindle badly here.
- 10 Modern Movies That Are Better in Black and White: Not sure, but I’ll give it a try sometime. (I also know that when a cinematographer wants to mute his palette and remove saturation, he can do so whenever he wants.)
- Em dashes—why writers should use them more sparingly: because they gain ink on press, and that’s why you should use double dashes– what are they teaching these kids nowadays?
- SF Signal: eBook Giveaway: ‘How to Write Science Fiction’ by Paul Di Filippo
- Paramount Picks Up The Mighty: Now this should be the Jon Hamm superhero movie.
- Jim Shooter: The Origin of the Phoenix Saga
- Archie Tackles Gays In The Military: Go Kevin!
- Save me an aisle seat: Bond 23 Release Date Brought Forward
- Doctor Who ‘A Good Man Goes To War’ Clip Released: Who Is River Song? “Spoilers…”
- The New Summer Blockbuster Economy: Reboots, Prequels, and the End of the Superstar Cash Grab:
Or “The star of the movie isn’t Robert Downey Jr., it’s Iron Man”. How Marvel keeps their costs down in movie making by controlling their IP. One presumes DC is taking notes.
- James McAvoy on Prebooting Professor X in ‘X-Men: First Class’.
- The Perils of Too Many Books: Show of hands if this has happened to you. It’s happened to me a lot, about once every three months or so.
- And finally, the Twitter Hulks.
Anything else? Consider this an open thread.