Star Trek Into Darkness’ Carol Marcus Introduces New App
At the Consumer Electronics Show, Paramount unveiled a clip featuring British actress Alice Eve, who plays Carol Marcus in May’s Star Trek Into Darkness. She introduces the film’s cutting edge App.
Star Trek has a history of leading others along the marketing trail. They were featured on the very first Happy Meal and Star Trek was the first movie to have a dedicated website back in the World Wide Web’s earliest days. And now the app promises the following:
• An audio scan function that can be turned on to automatically recognize and reward users for watching Star Trek Into Darkness content on TV and other media;
• An image scan function that enables users to interact with images printed or viewable in the real world;
• A geofencing function for location-based experiences;
• New Star Trek Into Darknesscontent, such as videos, images and wallpapers delivered directly to users’ mobile devices;
• Exclusive opportunities and special offers only available to app users;
• One lucky sweepstakes winner will be rewarded with the grand prize of attending the Star Trek Into Darkness U.S. premiere.
The app was developed by Qualcomm Incorporated using Gimbal context awareness technologies which will be used to deliver exclusive content and advanced real world game experiences for the Star Trek Into Darkness application based on the upcoming movie from J.J. Abrams.
These cutting edge technologies are being showcased in a never before-seen way and will enable users to automatically engage with a wealth of movie related materials by utilizing their real-life surroundings to auto-complete integrated missions by employing audio scan, geo-location recognition, and image recognition functionality powered by Qualcomm Vuforia. The Star Trek Into Darkness app will launch at the end of January.
During the second quarter of the big game, the app will allow users the ability to unlock the first of many surprises during the airing of the Star Trek Into Darkness TV-spot, making this one of the most unique and interactive apps ever created for a movie.
“We are excited about collaborating with Paramount on this app as it further brings to life Qualcomm’s vision of the digital sixth sense, where devices intelligently interact with the world around you,” said Dr. Jacobs. “By leveraging the Gimbal platform, this app harnesses the power of the smartphone to bridge the digital and physical world, allowing the studio to market the film in the real world and simultaneously bring users into the film’s story and world.”
Star Trek Into Darkness is written by Roberto Orci & Alex Kurtzman & Damon Lindelof and directed by J.J. Abrams. Abrams is producing with Bryan Burk through Bad Robot Productions, along with Lindelof, Kurtzman and Orci. Jeffrey Chernov and Skydance Productions’ David Ellison, Dana Goldberg and Paul Schwake are the executive producers.