ComicMix Quick Picks – April 9, 2009
A round-up of items from the last few days…
- Hugh Jackman heartbroken over ‘Wolverine’ leak: Jackman said, "Obviously people are seeing an unfinished film. It’s like a Ferrari without a paint job." Jackman is on a world tour to promote the movie, making his first stop at Cockatoo Island in Sydney Harbor, where much of the film was shot. He arrived at the venue by helicopter before swooping to the ground on a zipline.
- Today is the golden anniversary of the Magnificent Mercury Seven.
- Today is also the first day of Passover, so here’s a list of Jewish Superheroes, Villains, and other Comic Book Characters. How they missed Yoda, I’ll never know.
- At last. The State will be coming to DVD July 14th. Get your $240 worth of pudding ready. Buy it and make Mo Willems cry.
- And finally, Dave Arneson, who introduced Gary Gygax to the possibility of roleplaying gaming, succumbed to cancer on April 7th, at the age of 61. Bruce Baugh has an appreciation of his life and times.
Anything else? Consider this an open thread.
Thanks for the link, Glenn! Over the years I've known a lot of folks who knew Mr. Arneson, and I did what I could to capture the spirit of their praise for him. Some people shine as instigators.
I know you think I'm too obsessed with Nexus, Glenn, but that list of Jewish superheroes is missing Judah Maccabee, the Thune raised by Hasidic Jews. Of course, he's never seemed terribly observant to me, and in the crossover issue "The Gift" his menorah had the wrong number of branches on it….I'll stop now. :-)
Yoda wasn't a jew. I checked our records. Turns out eating whatever he did in that swamp broke like… 40 laws of the kashrute… so, we booted his little green keester out of the club. Plus jews don't have any midichlorians.
The State comes out on my wedding anniversary. I guess the only real question is which of us will buy it for the other. I'll be damned if I get stuck with a situation where we both buy it.Does it come with balls you can put into things?