E3 2008: ‘DC Universe Online’ Playable at SDCC
On the Cheap Ass Gamer E3 podcast, Robert “Shipwreck” Goode found out some great news from a PR rep for DC Universe Online, the highly anticipated comic book based MMO role-playing game. The game will be demonstrated at San Diego Comic-Con and the public can play it!
He also got some hands-on time with DCUO and reported it departs from the usual point-and-click play of MMOs like World of Warcraft. Playing more like a traditional PlayStation 3 game, he described it as an "action MMO."
Over at Massively.com, a gaming website devoted to all things MMO, they talked with the developer dynamic duo of SOE-Austin VP of development John Blakely and DCOU Creative Director Chris Cao.
Some of the highlights from that article include:
- The storyline will explain why all these new heroes (you guys) start popping up.
- One PvP battleground is the "Tomb of Isis," which forces everyone to eventually team-up when a very angry Black Adam finds opponents fighting around his wife’s grave.
- The SDCC demo will be the “Brainiac Attacks!” event.
- Another event scenario will be “Thanagarians Invade.” Expect regularly released events, much like Warcaft holidays.
- They still haven’t finalized the business model (the cited reason why Microsoft canceled Marvel Universe Online). Play for free after buying the retail copy? A monthly fee? In-game ads plastered all over Metropolis? It’s anyone’s guess at this point.
I hope my PC can handle it.