Rumor: New ‘Doctor Who’ Doctor and New Cast for ‘Torchwood’?
SciFi Pulse is reporting rumors of major changes in the works for two of the BBC’s most popular sci-fi series, Doctor Who and Torchwood. These changes include a complete cast overhaul for Torchwood, and rumors about the future of both David Tennant, the current Doctor in Doctor Who, as well as his most recent companion, played by Catherine Tate.
If any aspects of the rumors are true, they’re pretty much the definition of the word "spoiler" — so consider yourself warned!
In order to give the spoiler-phobic among ComicMix readers a fighting a chance at avoidance, I’ve posted some details about the revelations after the jump.
According to the SciFi Pulse, here’s a sample of what the future holds for Torchwood and Doctor Who:
– Burn Gorman (Owen Harper), Naoko Mori (Toshiko) and John Barrowman (Jack Harkness) will leave Torchwood, with Freema Agyeman (Martha Jones) becoming a full-time member of the cast in Season 3. Eve Myles (Gwen Cooper) will remain with the cast.
– The tone of the show will also change slightly, according to SciFi Pulse:
Another big change for Torchwood is the format of the show. Up until now the series has been aimed at a more grown up audience, and has been sold as a Science Fiction series for adults. This has allowed it plenty of latitude with regards to sexual innuendos and humour. Some of the humour may stay, but it will be dumbed down somewhat so as not to alienate the younger audience members.
– David Tennant will be leaving Doctor Who at the end of the 2009 Christmas Special.
– Robert Carlyle ("The Full Monty") is the rumored replacement for Tennant.
– Catherine Tate’s character in Doctor Who, Donna, will make her exit after one season. However, her departure as the Doctor’s companion will take a decidedly more sinister tone, prompting the return of many characters from the series’ history.
For the full scoop and a great many more details, make sure to visit SciFi Pulse.