Fox Sues Warner Bros. Over ‘Watchmen’

Rick Marshall

Rick Marshall was Online Managing Editor for ComicMix before joining MTV's SplashPage. Previously, he was Online Content Manager for Wizard Entertainment. He has written for several daily newspapers, alternative weekly newspapers, trade magazines and online media, and was named "Writer of the Year" by the New York Press Association in 2005.

You may also like...

6 Responses

1. mike weber says:

Must be a damned "complicated string of ownership conditions" for Fox to hold the rights over Warner on a book published by DC.

2. Mike Gold says:

It's the movie rights that are in dispute, not the ownership of the property itself. Although Alan might dispute that.Watchmen was around quite a number of studios for decades. Terry Gilliam and I spent an hour discussing it right after Warner Bros. fired his ass off the project, and that was back in 1991. He was pissed; he really, really wanted to do Watchmen at that time and he spent a lot of energy on the project. Warners later put the movie in turnaround. I'm not sure when Fox picked it up, but it'll take a battalion of lawyers to straighten it out. Just like Spider-Man, which took a couple decades to straighten out. Here, at least, Watchmen is in production and judges tend to dislike throwing people out of work unless there's a clear contractual violation.

3. Tom says:

Fox. That would be the folks who canceled Firefly.

4. John Tebbel says:

Too bad. These works have a currency (not to mention zeitgeist) that gets muddled when the works take too long to get adapted. The Gone With the Wind movie was out in the third year following publication.

5. Michael Davis says:

I H A T E lawyers. Well…unless I'm arrested or sued…or want to sue…or…I have a deal I need looked at. Damn. OK I H A T E lawyers unless they are working for me.

• Mike Gold says:

Michael put his finger on it.Without lawyers we'd be having duels on the street every day. I know it's fashionable to use that Shakespeare quote all the time, and I know some lawyers are at least professionally loathsome, but by and large the system works okay. They're an unfortunate by-product of capitalism.