Marvel’s upcoming slate
In presenting its 2Q 2007 report yesterday, Marvel unveiled that it is producing Hulk Smash, a new animated direct-to-DVD movie that will be released by Lionsgate in October 2008. Concerning its first two self-produced live-action feature films, Marvel has completed production on Iron Man while The Incredible Hulk began production in July, and the two movies are slated for release in 2008 on May 2 and June 13 respectively. Marvel’s additional movie, TV and stage projects in the works include:
- Wolverine (Fox) – Gavin Hood to direct and Hugh Jackman stars
- Punisher 2 (Lionsgate) – Lexi Alexander will direct, starring newcomer Ray Stevenson.
As we noted in yesterday’s Big ComicMix Broadcast, in development at Marvel Studios we have:
- Ant-Man, writers Edward Wright and Joe Cornish; Wright also directs
- Captain America, David Self/writer
- Nick Fury, Andrew Marlow/writer
- Thor, Mark Protosevich/writer
- The Avengers, Zak Penn/writer.
In animated TV series development:
- Spider-Man, with Sony, with a distribution deal in place with Kids’ WB
- Wolverine and The X-Men (26 episodes) developed by India’s First Serve Toonz
- Iron Man (26 episodes) developed by Method Films in France.
There are two more animated direct-to-video DVDs with Lionsgate: Doctor Strange comes out next week and Teen Avengers is slated for July 2008.
And finally, the most terrifying project that’s literally in the wings: Spider-Man the Musical, featuring music and lyrics by U2’s Bono and The Edge the show will be directed by Julie Taymor, and produced by Hello Entertainment/David Garfinkle, Martin McCallum, Marvel Entertainment, and SONY Pictures Entertainment.